When we set out to build this brake, nearly four years ago, we started with a clean slate. Then we tried all manner of wacky ideas but eventually wound our way back to the tried and true ball bearing in a ramp system. From there we concentrated on the details. We made the balls bigger for smoothness and increased pad travel. We hardened the steel where the balls contact the ramps. We used three hardened steel pins to locate the pad actuator. Instead of a plastic thrust washer we used a flat needle roller thrust bearing.
Then we moved onto the caliper body. This took countless drawing revisions and probably 20 prototypes. We added “fangs” to the inner backing plate for stiffness, and beefed up the outer caliper body where needed.